PDA

View Full Version : Mount Pleasant - neither a mountain or pleasant. Discuss.

Jon
04-16-04, 10:03 AM
The topic says it all.

foxykitten
04-16-04, 10:42 AM
Awww...thats too bad...I thinks its an alright place :)

Lora
04-16-04, 11:06 AM
This is not aimed at you Jon, but, why does everyone ALWAYS complain about Mt. Pleasant? I've noticed it on TCW a LOT.

It's your choice to be here (don't say it's not because there's always some sort of choice in everything you do) and if it's really that bad, you hate it, there's nothing to do, etc... then just leave. :rolleyes:

Jon
04-16-04, 11:11 AM
new yorkers complain about new york -- after you live somewhere a while you start to see the bad more than the good

Sum_Gurl
04-16-04, 11:17 AM
LOL. Love the topic heading, very coffee-talk-esque. I saw a bumper sticker once that said something like "Mt.Pleasant, the climb is worth it".

Sum_Gurl
04-16-04, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Melora:
This is not aimed at you Jon, but, why does everyone ALWAYS complain about Mt. Pleasant? I've noticed it on TCW a LOT.

It's your choice to be here (don't say it's not because there's always some sort of choice in everything you do) and if it's really that bad, you hate it, there's nothing to do, etc... then just leave. :rolleyes: Having a choice is one thing, having realistic options is another. For most, the idea of being broke, homeless, and unemployed is enough to keep people (miserable as they may be) right where they're at.

Lora
04-16-04, 11:27 AM
True, but people are just so negative about everything: CMU, Mt. Pleasant (what it has to offer, what it doesn't, etc.)

Besides, most people that complain aren't FROM here anyway; they're just going to school here. Therefore, I'm sure they could choose to go somewhere else, even if the option was less favorable than CMU. It's still a choice ;)

My point though, I guess, is everyone is always just so negative.

Ps. I'm kinda in a bad mood, so sorry about that everyone. :(

Stevo
04-16-04, 01:10 PM
Who saw the Gilbert Gotfriet show this year at Plachta auditorium?! "What should we call this place, Mt. Good, no thats a stretch, Mt. Acceptable, no, Mt. O.K., no. Just Pleasant." It was so funny.

I heard that it was called "Mount" in order to keep people away. So it stays a small community. Who wants to live in a mountain? A history major told me that, so maybe its true.

I dont think anyone actualy hates Mt. P. They just need a change of pace to keep things interesting. Maybe its time to move on, who knows. They want to go, but have trouble dealing with the work involved.

Chief
04-16-04, 01:13 PM

It's your choice to be here (don't say it's not because there's always some sort of choice in everything you do) and if it's really that bad, you hate it, there's nothing to do, etc... then just leave. :rolleyes: I couldnt have said it better myself :D

mikesova
04-16-04, 01:15 PM
i like mount pleasant because i'm from a very rural area which i like, and mt. pleasant is the perfect combonation of rural and city life for me. I definitely don't want to live in Grand Rapids or Lansing or Detroit.

Sum_Gurl
04-16-04, 02:51 PM
A couple years ago my roomate recieved a gag gift that was a collection of dirty words throughout history. Apparently in the revolutionary war days Mt. Pleasant was a slang term for vagina. I wish I could remember the name of that book, it was hilarious.

Troy
04-16-04, 03:12 PM
Wasn't there a thread recently about what people like about this place? I don't think it's so much that people don't like the place, as it is that people just like to complain about stuff. I swear thats all some people around here do(myself included). Besides, Pleasant is so boring, people want excitement. We should rename this town Mount Exciting.

Jove
04-16-04, 04:32 PM
I have no complaints about Mt. Pleasant because it has a movie theater, movie rental places, meijer, and a really fast cable connection.

Covetous
04-16-04, 07:30 PM
You really can't complain about a place that, at any time, is home to hundreds of young women who crave the **** while pretending to get an education. Com'on.

No, really though, Mt.Pleasant isn't bad. It's got all the essentials, plus a few. I could go for some more wilderness, or a river that doesn't look like coffe, but that's just cause I'm from up north.

Lora
04-16-04, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Covetous:
You really can't complain about a place that, at any time, is home to hundreds of young women who crave the **** while pretending to get an education. Com'on..Whoa. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/eek5.gif

mikesova
04-16-04, 08:31 PM
You really can't complain about a place that, at any time, is home to hundreds of young women who crave the **** while pretending to get an education. Com'on.hahahahaha , thank you

Jon
04-17-04, 02:07 PM
You really can't complain about a place that, at any time, is home to hundreds of young women who crave the **** while pretending to get an education. Com'on.
Well when you put it that way -- i'll stay :cool:

J-Dub
04-19-04, 07:08 PM
I don't care what anyone thinks about Western Michigan University; the City of Kalamazoo kicks Mount Pleasant's a$$ in terms of "coolness." Way bigger and better. At least you can take the Amtrak or Greyhound in Kalamazoo.

I'm from the Metro Detroit area [Novi to be exact.] When you get to the city limit, you end up in another city. Here in Mount Pleasant, when you get to the city limit, you end up in a corn field. That was one of the weirdest things I noticed my frosh year driving around.

mikesova
04-19-04, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Jonathan KC8RYW:
I don't care what anyone thinks about Western Michigan University; the City of Kalamazoo kicks Mount Pleasant's a$$ in terms of "coolness." Way bigger and better. At least you can take the Amtrak or Greyhound in Kalamazoo.

I'm from the Metro Detroit area [Novi to be exact.] When you get to the city limit, you end up in another city. Here in Mount Pleasant, when you get to the city limit, you end up in a corn field. That was one of the weirdest things I noticed my frosh year driving around.ok then, what i want to know is, if its so much better, why are you at central? i'm not being a jerk, im just wondering what made u choose central over a college in a "cooler" town?

J-Dub
04-19-04, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by mikesova:
<blockquote>quote:<hr />Originally posted by Jonathan KC8RYW:

I'm from the Metro Detroit area [Novi to be exact.] When you get to the city limit, you end up in another city. Here in Mount Pleasant, when you get to the city limit, you end up in a corn field. That was one of the weirdest things I noticed my frosh year driving around.ok then, what i want to know is, if its so much better, why are you at central? i'm not being a jerk, im just wondering what made u choose central over a college in a "cooler" town?[/QUOTE]I figured someone would ask that. :)

It's a very simple question, but there is a complex answer.

I have an issue with people on this campus blindly supporting hatred towards Western, when they most likely have never spent time on their campus, or in their town. Just because you go to Central, doesn't mean it's the best.

I've been here for three years, signed my major, etc etc, so it's in my best interest to stay here. I'm willing to grit my teeth and walk on the painted sidewalks for another year or two. Breaking the status quo sometimes isn't easy.

If I could do things over, I would have taken a better look at Western. Or, lived at home for two years, and gone to community college. That would have probably saved me a lot of trouble I got myself into frosh year, as I would still have been under my parent's roof, rather then being unsupervised for the longest amount of time in my life.

But then again, I wouldn't have had my share of other expirences [good and bad] I've had here. In other words, I'd be a different person. It seems very complex, to consider that I wouldn't have met certain friends that I have. Or maybe I wouldn't think the way I do now, or maybe I wouldn't even accept myself for who I am now.

I guess another analogy would be how I consider Canada or the Netherlands to look a lot better then the United States, mainly because of the rights they bestow on their citizens. But I'm here anyway. I'm not ready to cut my roots yet...

Lora
04-20-04, 12:54 AM

I have an issue with people on this campus blindly supporting hatred towards Western, when they most likely have never spent time on their campus, or in their town. Just because you go to Central, doesn't mean it's the best.
Umm, in case you haven't noticed, the same goes for them. :rolleyes:

mymonkeypjs
04-20-04, 02:30 AM
At least you can take the Amtrak or Greyhound in Kalamazoo.Actually, there is a Greyhound station in Mount Pleasant. I would not recommend it, but it does exist.

Jrod
04-20-04, 03:47 AM
and you can even actually take the greyhound through amtrak to an amtrak station and get all hooked up

J-Dub
04-20-04, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mymonkeypjs:
At least you can take the Amtrak or Greyhound in Kalamazoo.Actually, there is a Greyhound station in Mount Pleasant. I would not recommend it, but it does exist.[/QUOTE]Really?

I tried to start in Mount Pleasant when I was making my spring break plans, except it said there wasn't a station here. Apperently only the big stations you can schedule online.

I went from Lansing thru Chicago thru St. Louis to OKC, OK.

Lansing to Chicago was on the nice, comfy Indian Trails coach. Except they seemed to stop in every little butt-**** town along the way to Chicago.

25 hours on a bus and in bus stations can really mess with your mind. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

burnitall
04-20-04, 07:25 PM

Umm, in case you haven't noticed, the same goes for them. :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]Well some one has to stop the hate.